Press Releases/Images

 

Home
Trustees/Committees
Contact Us
Restoration
Press Releases/Images
Links
Vacancies

Strawberry Hill House

The Friends of Strawberry Hill

Technical Support

A Company Limited by Guarantee Company Registration: 4516140

Registered in England and Wales
VAT No: 894 307203

Registered Office:
96 Clifden Court,
Clifden Road,
Twickenham TW1 4LR

Registered Charity No: 1095618

Report and Financial Statements
- 31st August 2007

Financial Statements 2008

Annual Report and Accounts 2008-2009

 

Date

Title

10th September 2009

STRAWBERRY HILL RESTORATION HITS HALF-WAY STAGE

For high quality (300dpi) copies of the images below, please contact Technical Support and you will be provided with access to a download site.

A beautifully restored gilded, strawberry leaved, weathervane was re-installed high on the Beauclerk Tower to mark the mid-way point in the restoration of Walpole’s gothic castle.

The imaginative gothic-inspired chimneypiece to the Great Parlour, designed by Richard Bentley, was added to the house in the early 1750s.

The east elevation stripped of its cement render and in the process of repair.

Paul Sandby, South Front of Strawberry Hill, c.1769, watercolour on laid paper with wash-line mount, 39 x 76.1 cm [image]; 45.7 x 82.9 cm [sheet]. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.

The Great Cloister, Walpole's link between his State Apartment, above, and his recreation of the natural world in his pleasure ground outside. Enclosed and subdivided since the 19th century, the Great Cloister will be restored. This shows repairs and the walls stripped to recover the original stucco finish.

The decoration of the Hall and Staircase which Walpole described as the chief beauty of his newly-built gothic house has been in part recovered. New research and scientific analysis has revealed Walpole's fictive grey tracery in the Staircase, a key component of the 18th century house, which has recently been revealed beneath the pink wall painting of the 1960s.

Apprentices from the Prince's Foundation (Thomas Clark and John McRitchie) dismantling joinery in Walpoles Armoury. At the core of the conservation project has been training and education, integrating work by students from the University of Pennsylvania, London Metropolitan University, the City and Guilds of London Art School.

Walpoles Great Cloister, an imaginative hybrid between an Italian loggia and the archaeological recreation of a monastic vaulted cloister. Conceived as part of the 1759 "new addition to the house" by John Chute, the Great Cloister was an austere transition from the richly appointed State Apartment above to Walpoles carefully-crafted pleasure ground extending from the open archways. Enclosed and subdivided since the 19th century, the Great Cloister will be partly reopened and will be a café for visitors to the property when open to the public.

The Beauty Room or Yellow Bedchamber, is a small bedchamber in Walpole's villa that was originally richly furnished. The archaeology of the room was revealed during recent work, and has identified the house standing on the site which Walpole first knew when he came to Twickenham in 1747. The early 18th century panelling was discovered beneath plasterboard linings and retains the ghost imprints of the last picture hang prior to Walpoles alterations to create his Little Gothic Castle in the early 1750s. In contrast, the chimney-piece was added by Walpole and designed by by Richard Bentley.